Happy Christmas! Even though it’s not my holiday, I can’t help but enjoy the music and lights and festivities of this beautiful season.
And, of course, the food. And the…um…drinks!
Starting off the day with a cup of hot chocolate sounds good but this rummy version might be more appropriate after dinner.
My mother always made a sponge cake on holidays and she’d serve it with big mugs of hot cocoa.
Her version wasn’t spiked but I see no reason not to chase away the chill with a little shot of rum. Cheers!
- 1 Cup milk
- 2 oz. Milk chocolate
- 1 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3/4 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 oz. Spiced rum
- Marshmallows for garnish
- Add the milk, sugar and chocolate to a small pot and cook on a low heat, stirring constantly, until the chocolate and sugar have dissolved.
- Whisk in the spices.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the rum and pour into a mug or glass.
- Stir in the marshmallows and they will begin to melt and enrich the cocoa.
- Serve hot and repeat!